Extensive Functions to Create Your File Lists
Create, Print and Export File Lists to Word and Excel
Would you like to search your directory for image and MP3 files and directly print the file list or export the complete folder content to Excel, Word, Calc or Writer of Microsoft Office, OpenOffice, LibreOffice or other related applications?
Directory List & Print allows to easily list, print and export folder lists and directory contents. The file list can directly be opened in Word, Excel, Writer and Calc orit can be displayed as text file, PDF file, HML- or XML table. Directory List & Print can read much more than 100 different meta tags such as meta data of EXIF, IPTC, AUDIO, VIDEO and DOCUMENT in order to create individually requested file lists.
For further examples and videos about Directory List & Print please visit our Blog
Features of Directory List & Print
Directory List & Print is a “DpI aware” application and does properly display with Windows screen scaling over 100%.
Free Version (Freeware) und Pro-Version (Shareware)
Directory selection [1. Directory]
- Selection of directories to be listed by a tree structure.
- Selection of directories by entering the path as a text string.
- Drag & Drop of directories (or files) from Windows Explorer to set a new directory.
- Direct selection of important system directories like “My Documents”, “Shared Documents”, “Favorites”, “Temporary Files”, “Application Data” etc.
- Save own directory favorites.
File information [2. Columns]
- Display of BASIC FILE INFORMATION:
row number (consecutive),
file and directory name with or without directory path,
file name with or without file extensions,
date and time of last modification (back to the year 1601),
date and time of creation (back to the year 1601),
date and time of last access (if tracked by the operating system),
file size (Byte, KiloByte, MegaByte, GigaByte).
- Display of ADDITIONAL FILE INFORMATION:
File size effectively on disk (Byte, KiloByte).
Verification of the file type based on the file signature of the content. Display of the file type confirmed by the signature, alternatively suspected file types.
Display of confirmed and suspected file types in plain text.
Fle attributes (Archive, Read Only, Hidden, System, Compressed, Encrypted, Temporary, Sparse File, Reparse Point / Symbolic Link, Offline, Not Indexed).
Length of file names and file paths.
Calculated checksums for files: CRC32, MD5, SHA1.
Owner of files and directories.
File access rights for current user (or administrator if the program was started with administrator rights).
Title of document files (PDF, HTML, MS-Office, Open-Office, Libre-Office etc.).
Title of audio/video files (mp3, ogg, mpeg, mp4 and many more, see below).
Title of program and version number of executables (exe, dll).
Dimension of documents like pages, words, characters.
Dimension of images like width, height, bit depth.
Dimension of audio files like sampling rate, bit rate, bit rate mode.
Dimension of video files like width, height, frame rate, bit rate.
Format of audio/video and image files.
Duration of audio/video files.
- Display of WINDOWS FILE PROPERTIES (according to Windows Explorer):
title, subtitle, subject, rating, tags, categories, comments, authors, date taken, date acquired, copyright, program name, contributing artists, composers, album, genre, year, track, length, pages, slides, word count, content created, date last saved, link targets of shortcuts.
- Display of EXIF meta tags for images:
width, height, depth, resolution DpI, format, orientation, date and time taken, date and time changed, author/artist, copyright, description (title), comment, XP-comment, XP-title, XP-subject, XP-keywords, XP-author, rating, software, camera model, focal length, aperture f-stop, exposure time, sensitivity ISO, color space.
GPS position data (if available): time stamp, altitude relating to sea level, latitude (as decimal degrees or formatted as degrees / minutes / seconds), longitude (as decimal degrees or formatted as degrees / minutes / seconds), Google Maps link (customizable) based on the GPS position data.
- Display of IPTC meta tags for images:
keywords, headline, caption, copyright, byline, date created, time created, country, state, city, sub-location, source, editor, instructions.
- Display of XMP meta tags for images:
title, description, creator, source, writer, date created, time created, date modified, time modified, format, preserved file name.
- Display of AUDIO meta tags for audio files:
title, artist, album artist, album, year recorded, year released, track number, disc number, genre, composer, publisher, copyright, comment, rating, length, beats per minute, sampling rate, bit rate, bit rate mode, bit depth, format, channels.
- Display of VIDEO meta tags for video files:
title, date encoded, year recorded, year released, length, width, height, video format, video standard, frame rate, bit rate, genre, movie name, series name, series season, director, producer, publisher, artists, album, subject, description, keywords, copyright, comment, rating, law rating, application software, audio channels (count), audio tracks (language, room-position, audio-format, sampling-rate, bit-depth, bit-rate), subtitle tracks (language, format).
- Display of DOCUMENT meta tags for document files:
title, subject, keywords, categories, comments, author, pages, sheets, slides, words, characters, lines, date created, time created, date modified, time modified, modified by, revision, encryption, software, version, email from, email to.
Display settings [3. Display]
- Listing of sub-directories and/or files with recursive sub-directory listing (Run through subdirectories).
- Sort files/directories by name in NATURAL order (like Windows Explorer).
- Display of column titles in the first row, turn on/off.
- Display of inter-titles (directory path), turn on/off.
- Set directory recursion depth for subdirectories.
- Display a table showing only the directories without details for the contained files. The subdirectories can be indented by any number of spaces. The directory name can be displayed with or without path.
- Show number and sum of size and duration of the displayed objects.
- Display of the date in many different international formats:
dd.mm.yyyy, dd/mm/yyyy, dd-mm-yyyy, yyyymmdd, yyyy.mm.dd,
yyyy/mm/dd, yyyy-mm-dd, mm.dd.yyyy, mm/dd/yyyy, mm-dd-yyyy
- Display of the time in many different international formats:
hh:mm:ss, hh:mm, hh:mm:ss AM/PM, hh:mm AM/PM, hhmmss, hhmm
- Display of the audio/video duration in many different formats:
HH:MM:SS.nnn, MM:SS.nnn, SS.nnn, HH:MM:SS, MM:SS, SS
- Sort files/directories by name in NATURAL order (like Windows Explorer).
- Sort files/directories by name in ASCII order, ascending/descending.
- Sort files by date/time, size, duration (A/V), ascending/descending.
- Display a table showing only the directories without details for the contained files. The size, number of folders and number of files are displayed per single directory and cumulated over all its subdirectories. The subdirectories can be indented in the directory structure by any number of spaces. Also there can be listed directory names only without paths and other details.
- Hide directories without content to be displayed.
- Limit the number of files displayed per directory.
Filter for file selection [4. Filter]
- Set filter to include or exclude certain file types, wildcards placeholder ? and * available.
- Set filter to include or exclude files and directories by certain terms, AND and OR connectable, wildcards placeholder ? and * available, searching in filenames and/or paths.
- Set filter to include or exclude files by date range, date created or modified.
- Set filter to include or exclude files by attributes (Archive, Read Only, Hidden, System, Compressed, Encrypted, Temporary, Sparse File, Reparse Point / Symbolic Link, Offline, Not Indexed).
- Set filter on audio/video/image properties (Width, Height, BitDepth, Resolution DpI, FrameRate FpS, BitRate KBpS, SamplingRate KHz, Duration in Seconds).
- Set filter on length of filenames, eg. to analyze the file system when copying it to a new directory structure (path+filename, filename only, >, =, <).
Output of the file list [Output]
- Direct printing of the file list.
- Export list into other programs by copying to the clipboard. The corresponding data will be organized in columns separated by tabs so that the list can be pasted directly into other programs.
- Open the list directly in Microsoft Word™ and Excel™.
- Open the list directly in OpenOffice / LibreOffice Writer and Calc (and other closely related applications).
- Output the list directly to the default printer.
- Output the list as PDF file, the page size is adjusted automatically up to A0.
- Output the list as HTML table, the font and colors are customizable, files and folders can be linked either absolute or relative (for WWW).
- Output the list to Notepad editor with column adjustment with blanks and freely selectable field separator.
- Output the list as tab- or semicolon-delimited TXT file.
- Output the list as comma- or semicolon-delimited CSV file
- Output the list as XML file, including all selected attributes.
- Output the list as XLS file in “Excel XML Spreadsheet 2003” format (also without installed Excel available), which can be opened by Excel and Calc.
- Output the list as XLSX file in “Excel XLSX Workbook 2007-2019” format (also available without installed Excel), which can be opened by Excel and Calc.
- Open the list directly in Microsoft Word™ and Excel™.
- Open the list directly in OpenOffice / LibreOffice Writer and Calc.
- Linking of files and directories in HTML, Excel™ and Calc for direct open by mouse click (also available in XLS and XLSX file output).
- Creation of thumbnails (preview images) for file types JPG, PNG, GIF, TIF, BMP if outputting to HTML, Excel™ and Calc (also available in XLSX file output).
(Excel and Calc manage up to 3000 thumbnails in a spreadsheet while Internet-Explorer, Firefox and Chrome browsers can handle about 20,000 thumbnails in a HTML file. All thumbnails are embedded in a single file and are rotated according to available Exif information.)
Action with files [Action]
- Action, further processing of the files in the file list with a preview of the intended processing.
- Listed files can be deleted, moved to the Recycle Bin, copied and moved to another destination directory. The directory structure will be taken over in the destination directory.
- Already existing files in the target directory can be overwritten or not.
- Possibility to keep the original creation date when copying and moving files, instead of setting it to the time of copying by default. Also takeover directory time stamps.
- Possibility to transfer the original creation date to the modification date of the target files when copying or moving the files (Unix derivatives and corresponding devices partly do not support a creation date, but only a modification date).
- Possibility to replicate the directory structure only (without copying any files).
Program settings [Menu: Setup]
- Automatic saving of settings when exiting the program.
- Start program with a directory path as a parameter to show directly that directory: “C:\Program Files\DirectoryListPrint.exe” “C:\MyDirectory”
- Integration of “Directory List & Print” in the context menu of directories to list any directory directly from within Windows Explorer with “Open in Directory List & Print”.
- Automatic set up of a program shortcut on the desktop.
- Support for connecting and disconnecting network drives.
- Display of HTML output with the Internet Explorer or another default browser.
- Remember last used directory or discard it.
Program update [Menu: Help / Check for program update]
- Automatic updating of the program to the latest version (the connection to the Internet is established only when selecting the menu item).
Functions built-in the file list [Search field and context menu]
- Search: Find a string in the file list using the search modes “Search from the beginning” and “Continue searching from the current row”.
- Double-click on files and folders to open them directly.
- Context menu: Copy selected field or row to clipboard, copy complete file list to clipboard, open the directory containing the selected object, open/start the selected object, show properties of the selected file or directory.
Save and load configuration settings [Menu: File]
- All current settings can be stored in one or more configuration files with the file extension “.dlp”. They can be reloaded as needed to reproduce the so-saved settings.
- The last 8 configuration files used are kept in a list within the file menu (latest on top).
- Also the current settings can be reset to the basic settings.
- Configuration files can also be loaded by drag & drop on the window of Directory List & Print.
Control program using startup parameters [for scripting]
- Specify a configuration file to set up immediately the appropriate settings at startup.
- Specify a particular home directory as a starting point for generating the list.
- Automatically create a specific output and close the program afterwards:
clipboard, notepad, print, PDF file, HTML file, WORD file, EXCEL file, WRITER file, CALC file, TEXT file, CSV file, XML file, XLS and XLSX file (no installed EXCEL needed, readable by EXCEL and CALC).
All files supporting extended information like
Date/Time created, Date/Time modified, Size, File attributes, File type, File path, File name, Checksums CRC32/MD5/SHA1
Image files supporting additional information like
Image format, Image size, Bit depth, Resolution DpI, EXIF meta tags if available, IPTC meta tags if available
- bmp, dib, png, gif, jpg, jpeg, jpeg2000, jp2, j2k, j2c, jng, jif, jpe, tiff, tif, tga, targa, ico, pcd, pcx, cut, dds, exr, g3, hdr, lbm, koa, mng, pbm, pfm, pgm, pct, pic, pict, ppm, ras, raw, nef, nrw, dng, crw, cr2, raf, orf, erf, arw, rw2, pef, srw, mrw, sgi, wbmp, xbm, xpm, psd
Audio files supporting additional information
Title, Duration, Audio format, Sampling rate KHz, Bitrate Kbps, Fixed/Variable Bitrate, AUDIO meta tags if available
- ogg, ogm, wav, mp2, mp3, wma, ra, ape, mac, flac, aiff, aifc, au, iff, paf, sd2, irca, w64, mat, pvf, xi, sds, avr, ac3, aac, dts, m4a, m4b, cda, dsf
Video files supporting additional information
Title, Duration, Video format, Picture size, Frame rate Fps, Bitrate Kbps, VIDEO meta tags if available
- avi, mpeg, mpg, vob, mp4, mpgv, mpv, m1v, m2v, m4v, asf, wmv, qt, mov, rm, rmvb, ifo, wtv, dvr-ms, mkv, mka, mks, divx, xvid, m2ts, m2t, mts, ts, flv, 3gp, mxf, swf
Document files supporting additional information
Title, Extent like pages/sheets/slides and number of words/characters, DOCUMENT meta tags if available
- pdf, doc, docx, docm, dotx, dotm, xls, xlsx, xlsm, xltx, xltm, ppt, pptx, pptm, potx, potm, odt, ods, odp, odg, odc, odf, odi, odm, htm, html, eml und msg (Emails)
Executable files supporting additional information
Title, Version number
- exe, dll
Shortcuts that support the display and linking of link targets
- url, lnk
Some Examples Of Possible File Lists
- Show HTML-table as demonstration result of some Pro-features
- Show XML-file as demonstration result of some Pro-features
- Download Excel-table as demonstration result of many Pro-features
(This example works for Excel with the languages English and German)
System Requirements For Directory List & Print
- Microsoft Windows™ 7 / 8 / 10 (32bit and 64bit).
- About 20 MB disk space.